Gary Neville believes that Chelsea may have dropped a hint that they may be open to selling Tottenham Hotspur target Conor Gallagher on Tuesday night.
Chelsea booked their spot in the Carabao Cup final with an impressive win over Middlesbrough. Mauricio Pochettino’s men trailed 1-0 after the first-leg at the Riverside Stadium. However, the Blues ran out 6-1 winners last night to reach Wembley.
Interestingly, Conor Gallagher was initially left on the bench for the second-leg. The 23-year-old came off the bench midway through the second-half and provided two assists.
Tottenham may have been given encouragement over Conor Gallagher
Tottenham could make a move for Gallagher before the January transfer window closes. And while you would imagine that the Blues would not normally be open to sanctioning his departure, they may have to consider serious offers for some of their players after investing so heavily over the last couple of years.
Speaking on Sky Sports (broadcast on 23/1 from 19:00), Gary Neville initially asked whether Gallagher was really leaving. And he admitted that it had crossed his mind when the commentator noted that Pochettino had done little to dampen speculation with his selection.
“Well, that’s what I thought when I saw the team sheet come through. It’s got to the point where you have spent that much money that you have got to sell one of your own, who is playing pretty well, to fund it,” he said.
Spurs may look to ask the question before deadline
Given how quiet this January window has been, it would be a real surprise if Tottenham were able to agree a deal for Gallagher before the deadline.
However, it has to be said that Spurs have been busy so far, signing Timo Werner and Radu Dragusin. So if they have their sights set on Gallagher, perhaps they may be tempted to at least ask the question.
Their desire to test Chelsea’s resolve to keep him may only increase after he missed out on starting in the semi-final.