Tottenham are moving on to other managerial candidates after Arne Slot ruled himself out of the job.
Tottenham are reportedly interested in appointing Fiorentina boss Vincenzo Italiano after Arne Slot ruled himself out of contention. Italiano has been linked with a switch to a bigger club despite languishing in mid-table with Fiorentina this season.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy continues to search for his next manager, two months after sacking Antonio Conte. Levy is also expected to appoint a new director of football following Fabio Paratici’s resignation in the wake of his 30-month football ban.
However, Levy was struck a blow on Thursday when Slot ruled himself out of the race, which had previously seen the likes of Julian Nagelsmann distance themselves from the north Londoners. Spurs are now scrambling for other targets.
According to reports in Italy, Fiorentina head coach Italiano is one of the names on Spurs’ shortlist. However, the Premier League outfit could face competition from Napoli, whose manager Luciano Spalletti is set to take a sabbatical after winning the club’s first Scudetto since 1990.
Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio told Sky Italia: “It’s inevitable that [Italiano] will end up in the crosshairs of big clubs like Napoli. If De Laurentiis were to bet on Italiano, I would find it normal.
“I know he is also popular abroad. He is on Tottenham’s list. Many say that Italiano has a €10m (£8.7m) clause, but there is no release clause to release him from Fiorentina.”
Italiano would be an intriguing choice for Spurs, especially as they had previously targeted managers who had a history of winning trophies. The 45-year-old is yet to win a league or cup during his senior coaching career.
It comes after Feyenoord tactician Slot ruled himself out of the job. Some reports had claimed that the 44-year-old had been set for discussions with his team in which he was expected to make clear that he wanted to move to England.
However, those claims were wide of the mark and Slot is now set to extend his deal with Feyenoord. He said on Thursday: “I have been hearing a lot of rumours going around about other interest in me.
“Although I am thankful, my wish is to stay at Feyenoord and continue working on what we created last year.
“There is not – and there has not been – transfer conversation and yesterday’s meeting was exclusively for an extension. All talks with the club have always been only in that sense. Looking forward to next season with Feyenoord.”